Do you want to enjoy the outdoors without having to worry about pesky mosquitoes? If so, you need a wearable mosquito repellent! But with so many on the market, which one should you choose? Well, we're here to help.
Below, we will discuss which active ingredients have been proven effective at repelling mosquitoes. We'll also provide a list of some of the best wearable mosquito repellents on the market in 2022. Whether you're looking for a plant-based option or something that contains DEET (the most effective ingredient available), we've got you covered!
Which Ingredients In Repellents Keep Mosquitoes Away?
While many products claim to keep mosquitoes at bay, some ingredients have stronger repellent properties than others and have reputable studies to back them up. The CDC recommends using an EPA-registered insect repellent with one of these trusted active ingredients:
- DEET: a chemical originally created for the U.S. military that's still considered the most effective mosquito repellent available today
- Picaridin (also known as KBR 3023, Bayrepel, and icaridin): a synthetic compound designed to resemble piperine, a natural compound found in plants used to make black pepper
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE): an extract derived from lemon eucalyptus tree leaves
- Para-menthane-diol (PMD): a biochemical repellent derived from eucalyptus plants
- 2-undecanone: a non-toxic, organic compound that can be produced synthetically or obtained from several different types of plants
- IR3535: a biopesticide that's clear and odorless
The active ingredients above have all been proven to be effective at repelling mosquitoes. They are also safe to use as long as you apply them as directed: always read the entire label! If you have any health concerns, be sure to consult your doctor.
The Best Mosquito Repellents of 2022
Now that we've gone over which active ingredients work best, let's take a look at some of the best mosquito repellents available for you to buy in 2022. These repellents are top-rated by thousands of satisfied online reviewers:
- Repel Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent
- Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin
- OFF!® Deep Woods Sportsmen Insect Repellent VIII with 25% DEET
- OFF!® Family Care Insect Repellent VIII with Picaridin Aerosol
- Ben's 100 Deet Mosquito, Tick & Insect Repellent
- Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray
Mosquitoes are irritating bugs that can ruin a backyard barbecue or summer camping trip in no time. By wearing a mosquito repellent with one of the CDC-recommended active ingredients listed above, you can avoid those itchy and annoying bites, as well as mosquito-borne diseases.
Charlotte Mosquito Control
If mosquitoes are giving you a headache this season, call Sage Pest Control at (704) 413-3398 for mosquito control services in Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh, and surrounding communities! We have the treatments and know-how to help you reclaim your property from all kinds of North Carolina pests.