When the weather turns chilly, you won’t be the only one seeking a warm refuge inside your home. Mice, spiders, and other pests will be doing the same!
Fall Pests in North Carolina
In order to help control fall pests, it helps to know which ones are most likely to make an appearance in North Carolina.
- Ladybugs (Beetles): While cute and considered good luck when seen outside, ladybugs can become a nuisance in the fall if they make their way into your home in large numbers. While not dangerous, they can be difficult to remove.
- Stink Bugs and Kudzu Bugs: This time of year, both stink and kudzu bugs tend to gather in large numbers. Once they make their way inside, they are hard to kill (and smell foul when they are crushed).
- Fire Ants: The cooler temperatures of fall make fire ants more active. They can build large mounds near foundations and then enter your home through cracks. If disturbed, fire ants can sting multiple times, leaving painful welts.
- Spiders: One of fall’s most pesky pests, this is the time of year when spiders spin large webs and lay eggs. In fact, there may be more than 200 eggs in up to nine egg sacs laid by each female spider!
- Rodents: Mice and rats can be a big problem both outside and inside your home. They are very unsanitary and can carry a multitude of diseases that can be transmitted to both humans and pets.
Fall Pest Control Tips
To keep your home free from pests, follow these fall pest control tips:
- Keep your kitchen clean (wipe counters, sweep, take out the garbage) and store food in airtight containers.
- Avoid leaving pet food out.
- Open and check storage boxes outside before bringing them indoors.
- Screen or seal all openings to the outside (attic and dryer vents, chimney, mail slot, animal doors, cracks around doors, etc.).
- Don’t store firewood near the house, keep mulch away from foundations, and trim shrubbery.
- Direct water away from the house and use a dehumidifier to keep your basement and garage dry.
Contact Sage Pest Control
If you’re feeling nervous or overwhelmed (or actually are overwhelmed) by pests, don’t delay in getting help. Sage Pest Control is your North Carolina pest expert who can get rid of any infestation and prevent one from happening in the future.