If you’re like most people, just thinking about a mouse infestation in your home makes your skin crawl. But do you know the signs of mice?
Mice can carry and spread over 200 different pathogens that can make you sick, including the plague (yes, it still causes deaths every year). As they travel about your home, mice leave tiny droplets of urine, spreading these pathogens. They’ll also devour your food. In fact, every year, rodent infestations destroy enough food to feed more than 200 million people!
When it comes to mice, prevention is key. Seal up all cracks and potential entry points around doors, windows, plumbing, etc. Keep all food in sealed containers, and keep storage areas in and around your home clean and tidy.
It’s also important to know the signs of mice so you can catch any infestation as early as possible. Here are five signs you might have a mouse problem.
- Droppings: Mouse droppings are very small and black and have a granular shape. They are commonly found near kitchen cupboards or pantries, food bins, and storage areas. You might also see them along walls or furniture, or on top of studs in an unfinished area. If you see droppings, it’s imperative to contact Sage Pest Control as soon as possible.
- Holes in Food Containers: Holes in cereal boxes, pasta bags, and other food containers are telltale signs of mice. They will also go after dog food. If you see these holes, throw out that container and call us.
- Greasy Smudges: As mice wedge through tiny openings as small as ¼ inch, they often leave greasy smudge marks caused by oils and dirt in their coat. If you see these greasy smears, that’s a likely entry point for mice.
- Rodent Sounds: If you have mice, you’ll likely hear them. You might detect rustling or scurrying sounds as they move about inside your walls, especially at night. You may even hear them squeak.
- Pet Behavior: Your dog or cat will likely see signs of mice before you do. They may act unusual or get excited for no apparent reason. If they show interest in a particular area, you’ll want to investigate. Overall, pay attention to what your pets might be trying to tell you.
- Tiny Gnaw Marks: Mice often gnaw at things like furniture or other wood, wiring, even plumbing to keep their teeth sharp. You might see these markings or notice the resulting shavings near baseboards, cabinets, or door and window frames.
See Signs of Mice? Act Fast
If you see any of these mice infestation signs in your home, the best thing you can do is act NOW. Mice can multiply very quickly, and before you know it you could have a major infestation on your hands. If you suspect you have a problem, call a rodent control and removal specialist such as Sage Pest Control right away. We can help you eliminate the problem quickly and protect your home and family.